Interim Head of Health and Safety, £50-60k 3-6 months, mobile based (Cambridge HO) with the Opportunity to go permanent
This is a new role working for a large privately owned company who have multiple sites across the country. We are looking for an interim and a permanent Head of Health and Safety who has been involved in multi-site operations and managing a mobile workforce
As the Head of Health & Safety you will be overseeing all HSE matters across these national sites.
Ideally you will have a NEBOSH Diploma or an IOSH qualification and will have experience of working across multiple sites within engineering, automotive, fleet, transport or a similar industry.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a company that is truly people focused and committed to maintaining a great Health and Safety culture across the business.
You will be instrumental in creating a culture were H&S is inbedded into the company across all of its sites.
Main Function of the Role:
To ensure the H&S strategy is effectively implemented across all the companies depots & sites, whilst providing proactive focused health, safety and environmental guidance and coaching to managers & employees.
So, as the Head of Health and Safety you will be a primary H&S point of contact for the company in the absence of the Operations Director.
You will approve any draft H&S budget proposals submitted and present them to the Operations Director.
Be the Chairman member of the Safety Action Committee.
Co-sponsor the Safety action group 18-month rolling Action Plan.
Approve urgent specialist training requirements.
Advise, when requested, on the visit and audit programme.
Your day to day responsibilities will encompass the following:
- Monitor risk assessment activity to foster loss control and risk management.
Be a prime point of contact for occupational health surveillance matters, in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Institute common standards throughout the Company involving agreed off-site visits, attendance at meetings, site and personal audits. Audit Reports will be raised and closure of corrective actions monitored by the Safety Action Group.
- Anticipate and assess the implications of proposed and forthcoming legislation and discuss with the Operations Director.
- Assist in providing and maintaining a comprehensive recording system of accident statistics, HS performance and investigation; and, ensuring that MADG H&S and Risk departments are furnished with the same as requested.
- Assist in the preparation of a Safety Action Group HSW Action Plan.
- Publicise and disseminate information for committee meetings.
- Institute an annual off-site visit and audit programme with line management
- Contribute, advise and assist line management on the recognition of hazards and the elimination and control of risks.
- Publish and maintain the Health and Safety Manual
- Advise on the progressive development of loss control and risk management; including detailed H&S contributions to the risk register.
- Investigate accidents when tasked by the Operations Director.
- Be the primary MFS point of contact for the HSE
- Publicise and disseminate H&S information for staff meetings and H&S notice boards.
So as the Head of H&S you will need the following:
Nebosh or Iosh qualification or similar
Previous experience in a similar role or environment
Previous multi site experience
A deep understanding of the applications of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the companies business
To be an effective influencer
Good MS office skills
Vantage Recruitment are acting as an employment agency for the purposes of this role