Job Title: Metal Fitter
Job type: Permanent
Vacancy Reference: HQ6128
A worldwide research and development company is looking for a Metal Fitter to work on pioneering projects from concept to launch and in-life support. Typical projects involve constructing scaled-down model aircraft which are used in a high-speed wind tunnel to measure forces and pressures in a highly accurate manner. You will be skilled at milling and grinding as well as working with aluminium and steel to construct the models. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team of leading professionals in a secure environment at a world-class facility.
Applications from ex-military personnel (British Army, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and Royal Marines) are strongly encouraged.
- All fitting work including milling and grinding, hand working the aluminium and steel, and assembling components and aircraft models precisely.
- Ad-hoc additional metal model making projects as and when required.
- Maintain appropriate technical notes and act as point person for the section where needed.
- Routinely observe the fitting machines, tools and equipment for any potential service issues and take necessary corrective action.
- Recommend process enhancements to the Head of the Fitting Section where necessary.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety directives and Quality processes.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications - essential:
- A time served, fully skilled engineer/toolmaker.
- Solid understanding (at least foundation level) of other MMC skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and CNC machining.
- Loyal, able to support direct supervisors and line management.
- Experienced in the effective bench fitting of components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Self-motivated and keen to develop engineering skills to full potential.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications - desirable:
- Willing to mentor and coach less experienced staff.
- Flexible and positive attitude, willing to go the extra mile to ensure deadlines are met.
- High attention to detail.
- Drive and commitment to improve own skills and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working.
- Can-do attitude to overcoming technical problems as soon as they arise.
- You will be asked to agree to undergo a security check.
- Due to security requirements you must have lived in the UK continually for the last five years.
- There may be times when you will be asked to work a shift pattern to ensure a project is completed.
- 26 days annual leave.
- Medical and Life Assurance.