Children's Services Improvement Programme - Programme Lead
£450 per week
37 hours per week
- The primary purpose of the proposed role is to secure dedicated capacity, focus and momentum at a senior level to to work with the Chief Officer to lead the implementation of the Children's Service Improvement Programme. This will include immediate progression of the Medium-Term post-Ofsted Action Plan, in parallel with the Council and partners to develop and implement a 3-year Strategic Plan for Children's Services leading to an Outstanding Ofsted judgement. A key driver for this role is to ensure a relentless focus on the pace and impact of improvement to services for children at a critical point in Dudley's Children's Services improvement journey.
Main Roles & Responsibilities
- Leading on the development of strategic and operational plans to support improvement and innovation across Children's Services and the Council in line with the vision for Children's Services and the Dudley Borough Vision.
- Engagement and consultation with stakeholders at all level of the system of support for children, to ensure that planning, review and delivery has the buy-in and active support within and beyond the Council
- Collaboration with partners including commissioned partners to develop a 3-year strategic plan for Children's Services
- Robust programme management and oversight of Children's Services improvement arrangements. This will include reporting to key governance and partnership bodies
- To work in partnership with Dudley officers to ensure that financial resources are used effectively and efficiently, are fully aligned with wider improvement planning and delivery and do not exceed set limits.
- To positively identify emerging strengths, areas for improvement and obstacles to positive change, and to work with staff and partners to develop solutions and unblock the system where necessary to achieve the best possible outcomes for children and local people
- To work with members of Children's Services Departmental Management Team (DMT) to develop and sustain positive, restorative and challenge-based relationships with staff and partners at all levels to support and drive system-wide improvement
- To work with partners at a regional and sub-regional level, and within the council, to support the achievement of the workforce development strategy for Children's Services
- To work with staff and partners as required to support inspection, regulatory and external reporting arrangements
- To engage with any training and staff development which may be required to undertake the duties of post
- To operate in accordance with the organisational values, policies, procedures, practice and behaviours of Dudley Council and the wider partnership.
- The proposed role will report directly to the Chief Officer Children's Services, with frequent contact with Dudley Officers at all levels. This will include DMT, the People Leadership Team and operational staff. There will include direct contact with elected members, service-users, schools and partner organisations. There will be direct reporting and engagement with a range of partnership boards/governance bodies - including the Children's Services Improvement Board, Safeguarding Arrangements and Children and Young People's Alliance.
- The post holder will need to evidence experience of operating effectively at a senior level in a complex multi-agency environment. Personal credibility and gravitas will be key qualities, balanced with a strong practical understanding of project management approaches, report-writing skills and a worked knowledge of the strategic and operational context for Children's Services.
Capacity & Timescale
- There is a business imperative to appoint on a permanent full time basis to this role at the earliest opportunity, reflecting the need to have in place robust programme management capacity to ensure an acute focus on service improvements without delay.