Contract Functional Safety Engineer is required for a rapidly changing, dynamic client associated with both domestic and international customers withion the aerospace industry.
It consists of three business areas focussing on Vehicles, Special Projects and Mission Support, which provide a variety of products and services to the MoD and other customers including the Warrior CSP, Scout and support to the Land Environment Air Picture Provision capability.
As the Functional Safety Engineer you will manage safety processes and the generation of artefacts to comply with IEC 61508 in support of Safety Integrity Level (SIL) claims.
- Evolve / review safety designs for products, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishment of safety requirements for assigned systems
- Experience of Ordnance
- Focus on directing members of the team to meet critical schedules, resolution of complex technical and operational performance problems.
- Participation within projects in establishing the content and degree of support required for each Project.
- Development of acceptable risk criteria from first principles
- development of Independent analysis and mitigation identification to control or eliminate hazards
- development of definition and deliver hazard identification and hazard analysis requirements using appropriate hazard analysis types and techniques
- development and delivery of appropriate ALARP strategies
- development and delivery of safety management of potentially hazardous trials
- development and delivery of safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements
- Participate in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions
- Evaluate the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program
You will be able to demonstrate the following
- Function Safety management, particularly IEC 61508 and Def Stan 00-55
- Qualified to degree or equivalent standard in an engineering subject or equivalent experience/combined education with professional experience; or professional experience with a related Masters degree.
- Proven experience in a safety-associated role, preferably in a defence related industry. That experience to include the determination and allocation of SILs.
- Detailed understanding and experience of UK, US and EEC Safety Legislation.
- Fully familiar with the relevant Joint Service Publications and Defence Standards associated with safety assessment of defence equipment.
- Experience with IT based toolsets common to the system safety discipline.
- Competent in the use of MS-Office applications.
- The role will require the candidate to have good verbal and written skills.